CDM PTA Read-a-Thon is back, October 22-26, 2018!
Get your books on, Dragons!
What is the Read-a-thon?
The Read-a-thon is a week long, school-wide program that encourages children to read more. It is also our most important PTA fundraiser! 100% of the proceeds will be used for school site needs, educational programs and community events at Carmel Del Mar. This means it supports all students at the school. Please help us reach our goal of $30,000!
What do you need to do to participate? It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3…
- Set up your child’s Carmel Del Mar Read-a-thon fundraising page!
Go to: https://pledgestar.com/cdmpta/
- Ask your friends and family to sponsor your child’s commitment & participation to reading a realistic number of minutes each day. We are hoping each family can raise at least $100. Please share your child’s fundraising efforts via Facebook, Twitter and email directly from your fundraising page.
- Have your child track his/her reading. Start a timer at the start of reading and write down the minutes read on the Read-a-thon reading log that your child’s teacher will provide. Sign the log each night.
So, what counts as reading? Any time your child spends reading outside of school time during the Read-a-thon. This includes individual reading time and being read to aloud. Homework reading done outside of school time can be counted toward the Read-a-thon also.
- All students who sign up for PledgeStar and send 4 pledges will receive a bookmark!
- All students who bring in signed reading logs will be entered in a daily drawing of prizes!
- All students who raise $100 or more will receive a Beanie Boo Dragon keychain and have a chance to win one of 2 brand new Kindles or 2 Echo Dots!
- Classrooms with the highest participation for K-3 and 4-6 will celebrate with a PTA provided Popcorn Party. Check the board outside the office to see who is in the lead!
- More prizes to be announced during the event!
New: Additional Online Auction for CDM Parents
Because we no longer have Fiesta Night as a fundraiser, some of the popular school auction items like Parking Spots in the CDM Parking lot for the 2019-20 school year, front row seats to popular events and Principal for a Day will be auctioned off here during Read-a-Thon. Click here and start bidding now!
Why does the PTA fundraise?
The CDM PTA (Parent Teacher Association) is a parent-funded, all-volunteer organization whose mission is to positively impact, support and enhance the overall learning environment at Carmel Del Mar School. We work closely together with the Principal and teachers/staff to identify programs and needs that touch as many students as possible. See the list of what we fund and organize each year below and on the “programs” page. We are fortunate to have an extremely generous and supportive community at CDM that has allowed us to give the kids a great school experience! Thank you!
Programs funded or supported by the Carmel Del Mar PTA
- Back to School Coffee (August)
- Ice Cream Social (September)
- Red Ribbon Day (October)
- Art Night (February)
- Talent Show (March)
- Fiesta Night (March)
- Family Game Night (April)
- International Night (May)
- New and Used Book Fairs (November/March)
- Dad’s Club Events
- Weekly Newsletter
Student Programs and Events
- Study Buddies
- Imagination Machine Assembly
- Field Day
- 6th grade Promotion
- Extra Field trip grants as needed
- Yearbook Club and Sales
- EPI school supplies program
Educational Grants and Teacher Support
- Teacher mini-grants ($200-$400) for all staff at the school
- Teacher Appreciation lunches and events
- Water for the Teacher’s lounge
- Special requests funded as needs arise (e.g. microphone, extra magazines, grants)
School Site Needs Funded in the Past 3 Years
- New Library Books
- Magazine subscriptions for all grades, every year.
- P.E. Stridetrack system, balls, soccer goals.
- Large Screen TV and Apple TV packages for Art Room, Science lab, etc.
- Set of 10 Ipads for STEAM+ use
- A professional Kiln
- Robotics Kits for Technology
- KCDM broadcasting equipment
- Maker Space Setup and Supplies
- Updated classroom furniture
- Furniture for the Library
Family Portrait Sessions are back. Book your session today for the discounted price of $150 (normally $300) – includes one 4×6 retouched digital file. Half of the proceeds are donated to the CDM PTA!
Think of the holidays and gifts!
Sessions are available on October 20th, 21st, 27th & 28th and November 3rd & 4th in Mark’s beautiful garden Studio at 4010 Moratalla Terrace.
Sign up today:
a) Go to SignupGenius to reserve a spot
b) Pay on SignupGenius at session booking time