The First Ever CDM PTA Read-a-Thon is here, February 5-9, 2018!
Get your books on, Dragons!
What is the Read-a-thon?
The Read-a-thon is a week long, school-wide program that encourages children to read more. It is also our most important PTA fundraiser! 100% of the proceeds will be used for school site needs, educational programs and community events at Carmel Del Mar. This means it supports all students at the school. Please help us reach our goal of $25,000!
What do you need to do to participate? It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3…
- Set up your child’s Carmel Del Mar Read-a-thon fundraising page! Go to: https://pledgestar.com/cdmpta/
- Ask your friends and family to sponsor your child’s commitment & participation to reading a realistic number of minutes each day. We are hoping each family can raise at least $100. Please share your child’s fundraising efforts via Facebook, Twitter and email directly from your fundraising page.
- Have your child track his/her reading. Start a timer at the start of reading and write down the minutes read on the Read-a-thon reading log that your child’s teacher will provide. Sign the log each night
So, what counts as reading? Any time your child spends reading outside of school time during the Read-a-thon. This includes individual reading time and being read to aloud. Homework reading done outside of school time can be counted toward the Read-a-thon also.
- All students who sign up for PledgeStar and send 4 pledges will receive a bookmark!
- All students who bring in signed reading logs will be entered in a daily drawing of prizes!
- All students who raise $100 or more will receive a reading light and have a chance to win one of 3 brand new Kindles!
- Classrooms with the highest participation for K-3 and 4-6 will celebrate with a PTA provided Popcorn Party. Check the board outside the office to see who is in the lead
- More prizes to be announced during the event!
Why does the PTA fundraise?
The CDM PTA (Parent Teacher Association) is a parent-funded, all-volunteer organization whose mission is to positively impact, support and enhance the overall learning environment at Carmel Del Mar School. We work closely together with the Principal and teachers/staff to identify programs and needs that touch as many students as possible. See the list of what we fund and organize each year below and on the “programs” page. We are fortunate to have an extremely generous and supportive community at CDM that has allowed us to give the kids a great school experience! Thank you!
Recommended Reading List per Grade – CDM teacher suggestions!
(anything by these authors)
Tomie De Poala
|1st Grade||The Art Lesson by Tomie De Poala
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Numeroff
Lilly’s Purple Purse by Kevin Henkes
The Mitten by Jan BrettThe Napping House by Audrey Wood
|Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig
What Makes Day and Night by Franklyn M. Branley
Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
|2nd Grade||Captain Underpants
A to Z Mysteries
Magic Tree House Series
The Never Girls Series
The One and Only Ivan
|3rd Grade||Big Nate Series
Dork Diaries Series
Judy Moody Series
I Survived Series
|Who Was? Cesar Chavez.
Horrible Harry Series
My Weird School Days Series
Great Illustrated Classics
|4th Grade||James and the Giant Peach
The Tale of Despereaux
The One and Only Ivan
The Lightning Thief
The Whipping Boy
Island of the Blue Dolphins
|5th Grade||A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban
Bud Not Buddy
Harry Potter Series
Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
I am Malala (Young Readers Edition) Malala Yousafzai
No Talking by Andrew Clements
|Percy Jackson Series
Skellig by David Almond
The Elements Book: A Visual Encyclopedia of the Periodic Table by DK
The Girl that Drank the Moon
|6th Grade||The Egypt Game
Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Number the Stars
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
SmileCounting by 7s
Al Capone Does My Shirts
Anne Frank, Diary of a Young Girl
A Long Walk to Water
Ranger’s Apprentice series
Programs funded or supported by the Carmel Del Mar PTA
- Back to School Coffee (August)
- Ice Cream Social (September)
- Red Ribbon Day (October)
- Art Night (February)
- Talent Show (March)
- Fiesta Night (March)
- Family Game Night (April)
- International Night (May)
- New and Used Book Fairs (November/March)
- Parent Education Nights/Assemblies
- Dad’s Club Events
- Weekly Newsletter
Student Programs and Events
- Study Buddies
- Imagination Machine Assembly
- Field Day
- 6th grade Promotion
- Drama Club Production
- Extra Field trip grants as needed
- Yearbook Club and Sales
- EPI school supplies program
Educational Grants and Teacher Support
- Teacher mini-grants ($200-$400) for all staff at the school
- Teacher Appreciation lunches and events
- Water for the Teacher’s lounge
- Special requests funded as needs arise (e.g. microphone, extra supplies, grants)
School Site Needs Funded in the Past 3 Years
- New Library Books
- Magazine subscriptions for all grades, every year.
- P.E. Stridetrack system, balls, soccer goals.
- Large Screen TV and Apple TV packages for Art Room, Science lab, etc.
- Set of 10 Ipads for STEAM+ use
- A professional Kiln
- Robotics Kits for Technology
- KCDM broadcasting equipment
- Maker Space Setup and Supplies
- White Board Tables for grade 4
- Furniture for the Library